Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Breakfast Song

    Today, I was proud to pass my state licensing exam for cosmetology. Now I can make money doing hair! If only the job I really want would hire me already. Not that I don't like being at home all the time, don't get me wrong. Since I finished school, I've had time to read new books, re-read old books, start a blog, re-connect with some old friends, and sleep - a lot. But I'm not the 'sit around and wait for the world to come to me' type. I want to meet new people, widen my cultural spectrum, and conquer the world. By getting a job in a town 45 minutes farther into nowhere. Sounds like a plan, right? Well, while I've been learning to dream really big, I've also been learning a great deal about patience.

    Write and produce my own album, learn to draw, write a novel, and become a world-famous fashion designer are all items on my to-do list, followed by: meet the man of my dreams, have the perfect wedding, move into a perfectly decorated house, and proceed to have perfect babies. As I think about these individual "tasks" before me and start to analyze how I'm going to accomplish them, I quickly become overwhelmed and decide instead on living life as a failure. This cycle tends to recreate itself every time I see an inspiring photo on Pinterest that tells me I can succeed at anything.

    So how do I break the cycle? In Matthew chapter 6 Jesus tells us not to worry about what will happen in our lives, and to "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." These words should be held in my heart in place of my anxiety over my future, and above all my hopes and expectations for my life, so that I can trust God to let his plans unfold before me. And that's the best part about it, His plans WILL unfold in His perfect timing. All I have to do is sit back and trust Him. So I'm going to do exactly that, while sipping hot tea and getting re-acquainted with my old friends the Newsboys.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment