Sunday, February 12, 2012

So This is What it's Come to...

        Sitting here at 1:42 in the morning with one sister of mine, I'm pondering our culture's insane and ever-growing media reliance. Reason being, the two of us would not be sitting here together "spending time" with each other if not for the screens in front our faces. Maybe a year ago we would have at least been sharing in the same movie-watching experience, laughing at the same scenes of ridiculous girlish comedy, but now we sit in the same room focusing our attention on two different sources of entertainment.

        So we've come to an age of having information at our fingertips, and I'm probably not the only one who can say I'm closer to some peoples' facebook pages, er, timelines, than I am with them in real life. I overwhelm myself sometimes with the vast array of social networks, from the good old fashioned e-mail to sites strictly for sharing photos. How many networks do I really need to stream my photos on? So when all of these mediums for sharing our lives with each other over the world wide web have become nothing but a cure for boredom, can we turn it back around and use them for something more?

       What if we all used the internet for all things positive? If every day we could encourage each other over facebook, we might really see a change for the better. I recently went through all of my facebook friends and unfriended anyone I didn't know, haven't talked to, or whose posts may tend to have a negative influence on my mood. My friend list was reduced by over 300 and I felt quite a bit less cluttered. Now I'm challenging myself not to let my negative thoughts out to poorly influence anyone elses mood, but I'm also going to try and take it a bit further. Every day I'm going to try to be as positive and uplifting in everything I post on the web, as well as in my everyday life. I would encourage you as well to monitor your negative thoughts; You'll realize quickly how much of an impact they can have.




No comments:

Post a Comment